Monday, March 23, 2009

Final Placement

Well, placement is right - stuck! Hardest part of the College journey for sure. Very stressful and the paperwork doesn't end - long hours in front of the computer and you know what? I really miss my kid! We live in the same house but I am not especially available to her right now. Don't worry, I have apologised to her and we are sweet.

We certainly need one extra placement with the grad programme and preferably not one that is forced on us - as in, we failed and have to re-do! Jumping from six days full control to 15 is a massive step and I certainly had no idea what to expect.

While I am learning heaps, I am also sure I have not cried this much since I did Outward Bound four years ago. Think that I will probably have the same feelings about this experience once it is finished - loved it but totally hated it all at once.

The great thing? My college mates who are literally pulling me dragging and screaming through this placement. I have wanted to drop out several times and they have all been more than wonderful!!!!!!

My kids are great though. Have had issues with two of them but we are coming to an understanding with one another and I have used my ability to connect with people to do the same with them. Is only just starting to work and I only have 8 days left! They are a Year 8 class and I love the age group! They know what is right and wrong so you can have good discussions where you put the responsibilty back to them......bribery works well, too!

Have learnt heaps! For one thing, while I can be rattled if the lesson schedule changes at the last minute, I manage to teach something and see learning anyway. That is good isnt it?

Maths is the area that I lack some confidence in. However, as my visiting lecturer told me today, 'every day that you teach, you learn more and get more confident.' Very true!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you are already reflective in your teaching...that is a huge part of our job and one of the most important things we can do.
    I will follow your blog with interest...we have 3 first year teachers in my school at the moment, I am tutor teacher for one of them (who is in her second year)

    ReplyDelete